[R-SIG-Mac] Does 64-bit R use multiple cores?

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 25 07:23:23 CET 2008

It depends on the computations you want to do.

R for Mac OS X uses Altivec which is a multithreaded version of BLAS
and lapack. What this means is that for any computations involving
matrix algebra, you do utilize multiple cores. Depending on what you
are trying to compute and how that computation is implemented, this
may prove to be just what you want or it may have little to no effect.

Kasper