[R-SIG-Mac] upgradeable R layout

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Nov 14 04:53:13 CET 2008

With R 2.8.0, as with any major release change, structure
can change substantially, including with associated software
such as the Bioconductor set of packages, so I have not
found a useful way to just put everything back that was in
a prior release.

> One way I can see handling it it with a local install, outside of the
> framework, and reinstalling with the command from the previous list --
> and you still have to do that.  Going over a list of 60+ packages in
> the installer is not really fun...

No, sometimes I'd rather be poking a stick in my eye,
but other things can make it fun, like remembering how
few packages were available with other commercial
statistical software programs, or how hard it was to
get technical support or answers about internal code
from their tech support, or how much money I had to
spend ;-) while I install the R packages.  (Though
once I donated to the R project via PayPal while
nursing a new installation!)

I've learned that some R / Bioconductor packages require
many others, and thanks to improved dependency checking
and installation I can install e.g. snapCGH in the Bioconductor
suite and get dozens of other packages installed as a side
effect.  I can select several packages in the R.app and
click the beautiful "Install Selected" button, and mostly
it all works in one go, so I'm no longer typing in 60+
install.packages() at the command prompt.

Smarter people than I may have more useful techniques
for you here.  Sorry.

Best

SteveM