[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit build of R crashes while idle

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 6 18:48:29 CET 2008

Steve,

thanks for the report. At a first glance from the crash log it seems
possibly like a problem in the OS and not R itself. Note that 64-bit
Cocoa applications are still rare on Leopard, so I'm not sure how
stable GUI applications are in 64-bit. As Brian pointed out R itself
is solid in 64-bit, so if you have issues, you can always run 64-bit R
on the command line (Terminal).

Nonetheless any feedback on 64-bit R.app is highly appreciated since
not many users appear to use it. Clearly, the more feedback we get the
better we can make it.

On Nov 6, 2008, at 11:25 , Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Early last week, I installed the 64-bit leopard build for R provided
> here: http://r.research.att.com/
>
> I've realized that when R.app is running in the background (and
> sitting idle), it eventually beach-balls. When I switch over to see
> what's happening, I see that R is crashed, and it's giving me
> options to:
>
> * abort
> * save workspace then abort
> * 1 or 2 others
>
> Sorry, I didn't copy the issue down exactly because I hastily quit
> it and reinstalled R 2.7.2 to get back to work. I'm not sure if it's
> R itself, or the R.app GUI ... I can mess around w/ it a bit later
> next week once I get passed some deadlines.
>
> I wonder if it's the R.app gui that's the problem, and not R itself.
> I'm running R 2.8 via the terminal now to see if it eventually hangs/
> core-dumps/whatever.
>
> Are other people working with 64-bit R/R.apphaving these issues? Is
> the best path to using 64-bit R via custom compilation? Maybe ignore
> R.app for now? What are you folks doing?

Custom compilation is not really necessary. If there are any issues
with our build then it is likely to be present in all builds.