[R-SIG-Mac] lib location different between GUI and terminal?

Ingmar Visser i.visser at uva.nl
Tue May 20 19:43:06 CEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On May 20, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Ingmar Visser wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just installed a package using the GUI and install.packages( etc)
>>
>> The I opened the terminal and ran R from there and tried to load the
>> package which
>> returned with an error saying the package was not available which
>> seemed strange to me.
>>
>> ?install.packages says that the default location for installing
>> packages is
>> .libPaths()[1]
>>
>> but this turns out to be different in the GUI:
>>
>> "/Users/ivisser/Library/R/2.7/library"
>>

> Apparently you told the GUI to set it, see R -> Preferences ->
> Startup -> Default Library Paths
>
> That setting is often used by users that either don't have admin
> privileges or want to keep their set of packages separate from the
> system ones. The default is off, so you must have enabled it at
> some point.

Dear Simon and R mac fans,

After unsetting the default library paths option in the preferences I
get:

 > .libPaths()[1]
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library"

And in the terminal I get:

 > .libPaths()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"

After freshly installing 2.7.0 I get in the GUI:

 > .libPaths()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library"

And after setting the default lib path in the preferences pane:

[1] "/Users/ivisser/Library/R/2.7/library"
[2] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library"

And in the terminal:

 > .libPaths()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"

In the package install menu the default checked option is at "System
level" meaning in the R framework but it
seems that that could still be one of two possible paths, ie the
versioned path from the GUI or the unversioned
path from the terminal.

Best, Ingmar