[R-SIG-Mac] lib location different between GUI and terminal?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue May 20 17:22:44 CEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Ingmar Visser wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a package using the GUI and install.packages( etc)
>
> The I opened the terminal and ran R from there and tried to load the
> package which
> returned with an error saying the package was not available which
> seemed strange to me.
>
> ?install.packages says that the default location for installing
> packages is
> .libPaths()[1]
>
> but this turns out to be different in the GUI:
>
> "/Users/ivisser/Library/R/2.7/library"

Apparently you told the GUI to set it, see R -> Preferences -> Startup
-> Default Library Paths

That setting is often used by users that either don't have admin
privileges or want to keep their set of packages separate from the
system ones. The default is off, so you must have enabled it at some
point.