[R-SIG-Mac] Latent class analysis issue

Ken Beath kjbeath at kagi.com
Fri Mar 21 23:30:52 CET 2008

On 22/03/2008, at 4:18 AM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> R-help would probably be a better place for answers to your question
> (this isn't a Mac specific problem), but at a guess the number of
> variables you've specified isn't the same as the number in your
> example. Though, I've never used e1071's LCA function (didn't even
> know they existed until just now) so I'm not positive.

Agreed this would be better in r-help, but we've got this far, so may
as well continue.

The lca function isn't particularly good. It is a bit specific about
data, it requires a matrix, which is probably what is happening here.
There are also some other failings, such as not allowing for the
models to be fitted for a selection of random starting values, so is
likely to get the wrong answer when fitting more than 2 or 3 classes.
It also requires an observation for every subject rather than
specifying frequencies. Yes, I should send my comments to the
maintainer.

A better package is poLCA, but also doesn't allow frequencies to be
specified. I would set the nrep parameter to at least 10, but 20 is
better. Has a nice user manual.

I have a package in submission randomLCA which is mainly for LC
incorporating random effects but fits LC as well. For the moment this
can be downloaded at http://www.kjbeath.com.au/randomlca/ and
installed as a Local Source Package. Comments welcome.

Ken