[R-SIG-Mac] Installing Updated R does not update version info

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 12 18:45:31 CET 2008

Michael,

I suspect you are just looking at the wrong info box - remember that
moved and deleted files are still kept in the system - look at the
"Where" field to make sure you are looking at what you think you are
looking. I get always "R GUI 1.24-devel" in the short info and "R.app
GUI 1.24-devel (4944), ..." in the "Version" field on the updated
R.app, regardless where I copy it. When you look at the files in the
image, there is nowhere "1.23" to be found at all, so it is not an
issue with the update (and I'm pretty sure about it, because Finder
uses the same file that the R.app does for showing the version).

On Mar 12, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Michael Fuller wrote:

> This is about the updated R GUI (R-GUI-4944-2.6-Deployment), released
> in February 2008.
>
> Installing the updated GUI version of R 2.6.2 causes the version
> number to revert to that of the older version. This may not be a big
> problem from the perspective of function, but it could cause confusion
> when people are checking version numbers for R.
>
> I always check the version number (displayed in the "info" window of
> the application icon) when I upgrade to verify that upgrading was
> successful. Before moving the updated R to the Applications directory,
> info says its version is: 1.24-devel (4944). But after moving updated
> R to Applications, info says the version is: 1.23 (4932), which is the
> version shown for the older (non-updated) R 2.6.2. Note that I had
> moved the older version to the Documents dir prior to moving the
> updated version to Applications.
>
> Here's the kicker: when I run the updated R and examine "About R", it
> says that the version is 1.24-devel (4944). Yet, the info box still
> claims it is version 1.23!

Have you opened a new one? Finder doesn't update the info box when the
program changes...