[R-SIG-Mac] Installing Updated R does not update version info

Michael Fuller mm.fuller at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 12 15:48:36 CET 2008

This is about the updated R GUI (R-GUI-4944-2.6-Deployment), released
in February 2008.

Installing the updated GUI version of R 2.6.2 causes the version
number to revert to that of the older version. This may not be a big
problem from the perspective of function, but it could cause confusion
when people are checking version numbers for R.

I always check the version number (displayed in the "info" window of
the application icon) when I upgrade to verify that upgrading was
successful. Before moving the updated R to the Applications directory,
info says its version is: 1.24-devel (4944). But after moving updated
R to Applications, info says the version is: 1.23 (4932), which is the
version shown for the older (non-updated) R 2.6.2. Note that I had
moved the older version to the Documents dir prior to moving the
updated version to Applications.

Here's the kicker: when I run the updated R and examine "About R", it
says that the version is 1.24-devel (4944). Yet, the info box still
claims it is version 1.23!

Maybe someone should fix? Or is it supposed to do that?

Mike
Michael Fuller, Ph.D.
Faculty of Forestry
2005 Earth Sciences Center