[R-SIG-Mac] generate random samples

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 15:59:40 CEST 2008

Please ask such non-Mac-specific questions on R-help.

For 'arbitrary', no.  But there are lots of helpers, including
Runuran, SuppDists and distrSim, which cover lots of univariate
distribtutions.  There are lots of multivariate ones implemented too,
often in packages that make use of MCMC.  But you cannot even define an
arbitrary distribution in a unified way.