[R-SIG-Mac] quartz aspect wrong

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Jun 8 19:07:39 CEST 2008

Hank,

R 2.7.0 (unlike previous versions) allows non-square pixels and
determines the pixel aspect ratio from the physical dimensions of the
screen (unless specified directly). In your case I suspect that the
reported physical dimensions are that of the non-rotated screen
whereas the pixel dimensions are rotated - that will result in a bogus
dpi.

Try setting dpi=100 (or the exact x and y resolutions of your screen
if you know it). That should fix the problem (you can use
quartz.options to make the change permanent).

Unfortunately CGDisplayRotation is only available in Mac OS X 10.5 so
we cannot require it to determine the rotation. I have added some
heuristics to match the orientation of the physical and pixel
dimensions. It may throw off some unusual geometry screens but it
should work in your case (sort of the most usual unusual case ;)), so
please try tonight's R-devel or R-patched.

Thanks,
Simon