[R-SIG-Mac] quartz aspect wrong

Hank Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Sun Jun 8 17:51:47 CEST 2008

Hi Folks,
I am using R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22). The problem I describe is new
since 2.6.2.

I find that

x11(width=7, height=7)

gives me a square device but

quartz(,7,7)
or
plot(1:10)

results in a quartz device that does not appear square on my machine -
the aspect is distorted compared to the X11 device. It looks stretched
too tall and a tiny bit too narrow.

I am not sure if any of this is relevant:

I am on a Mac (10.5.3) and have two Dell monitors on their sides so I
have two tall side by side screens. The resolutions are both 1024 x
1280, and they are rotated 90 and 270 deg.

My .RProfile includes

grDevices::ps.options(horizontal = FALSE)

.First <- function() {cat(paste(date()),"\nRecepcion al R asombroso,
dude!\n\n")
#library(CarbonEL)
# Sys.setenv("DISPLAY"=":0")
  options(device="quartz")
                     }

Thanks for any thoughts.
Hank

Dr. Hank Stevens, Associate Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)