[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling package against shared library in other package

Iago Mosqueira iago.mosqueira at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:42:00 CEST 2008

Hello,

This is my first attempt at compiling and installing packages in R for
Mac OSX, so please bear with me.

I have sucesfully installed and compiled an universal binary for a
package with some C code. Now, another package needs to link against the
.so file when compiling its own C code. I have LinkingTo in the
DESCRIPTION and that seems to do the trick, except that R is looking it

/Library/Frameworks/R.Framework/Resources/Library/FLCore/FlCore.so

when in fact the file is in

/Library/Frameworks/R.Framework/Resources/Library/FLCore/i386/FLCore.so

with another copy in .../ppc/FLCore.so

I did not specify the architecture before calling R CMD INSTALL --build,
as there is no configure script.

Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to provide a Makevars file?

Thanks,

Iago Mosqueira