[R-SIG-Mac] help: R on Mac's is "buggy", department reconsidering

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Thu Jan 31 18:42:41 CET 2008

Matt,
  In addition to the comments by Kasper and Max, may I add two points:

1) I am delighted that another psych department is pushing R for
undergrads and grads.  I have been doing so here with limited success.
I have been able to get undergrads in both my research methods class
and a more advanced class getting comfortable with it and doing some
basic analyses.  Some of our grad students are R converts as well.
Among the faculty, however, it is much slower going.

2) Running R 2.6.1 with Mac 10.4+ or 10.5.1  on Intel and G4/G5s  and
the Mac Gui I have almost no crashes of R.  Running 2.7.0
(development, unstable) I have just a few.

Make sure the students download 2.6.1 and packages that come with
that configuration.

Bill