[R-SIG-Mac] help: R on Mac's is "buggy", department reconsidering

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 18:16:17 CET 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 11:40 AM, Matthew Keller <mckellercran at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I dread writing this because it may come across as being ungrateful to
> the hard work of those (esp. Simon Urbanek) who have made an otherwise
> fantastic R interface for the mac. Nevertheless...

Here are my suggestions:

1. Tell us your version of R, the R GUI and Java. Is everyone using
Leopard? Also, there may be an interaction with packages, so versions
of the commonly used ones would be a good idea.

> I apologize for breaking the listserve rules - I have not given a good
> explanation of the conditions under which these crashes occur. I could
> try to get the students to document exactly when they happen and send
> a summary back out to the list if this would be helpful.

2. I understand, but you have to provide *some* information on the
task if you expect anyone to help.  You don't sound at all ungrateful
to me, but you also don't provide any help in figuring out the issue.
Be specific. Give examples.

I've been running R.app GUI 1.22-devel (4859) and R version 2.6.1
Patched (2007-12-06 r43615)  (i386-apple-darwin9.1.0) on a dual intel
laptop with no issues. I can't remember a crash ever occurring.

--

Max