[R-SIG-Mac] WinBUGS on OS X through R2WinBUGS?

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 22 00:21:53 CET 2008

Bill Northcott wrote:
> On 21/01/2008, at 10:00 PM, Roger Levy wrote:
>> Has anyone gotten WinBUGS to work on OS X through R2WinBUGS?  I have
>> managed to get WinBUGS 1.4 to work on my Intel Mac (I run Tiger) through
>> Darwine, but cannot get the bugs() command in R2WinBUGS to work.  I
>> follow the directions in Andrew Gelman's example here:
>>
>>   http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/bugsR/runningbugs.html
>
> I did some post some messages about this a few weeks back on both BUGS
> and CrossoverMac discussion lists.  (look for messages about winepath)
>
> As you discovered Winbugs will run happily in using WINE or the
> CrossoverMac packaged version of it.
>
> However, the WINE support in R2WinBUGS is thoroughly broken.  It depends
> on undocumented and unsupported features of particular versions of
> WINE.  These have been changed in recent versions of WINE and now that
> bit of R2WinBUGS needs a complete rewrite.  I can see what needs to be
> done, I just need to find the time
>
> You can run BUGS models in JAGS which now has a working R interface
> package - rjags.  I am hoping to get a fat MacOS binary done for this in
> the next few days and Martyn Plummer says he will put it on the JAGS
> site at http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/.  It is even
> possible to use the standard 32 bit R distribution and a 32 bit build of
> rjags to run a model on 64bit JAGS on a Core 2 Duo Mac.
>
> It would still be nice to have Winbugs available to generate a
> comparison with results from JAGS.

Many thanks for the information, Bill.  I'm really glad you saw my query.

My needs are not urgent, so it sounds like the best thing to do would be
to wait for you to finish your binary and then try it out.  I'll keep my
eyes peeled!

Best & thanks,

Roger

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy at ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219
Department of Linguistics       Fax:   858-534-4789
UC San Diego                    Web:   http://ling.ucsd.edu/~rlevy