[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Install RSPerl in Leopard

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 20:08:26 CET 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> This is not the most appropriate list.  But the first answer is that the
> package is not aware of sub-architectures, introduced a while back in R.
>
> The best thing is to follow the posting guide and contact the author: if that
> fails, people on R-sig-mac might be able to walk you through the changes
> needed.  It perhaps is as simple as editing
> RSPerl/src/RinPerlMakefile.in to say
>
> include $(R_HOME)/etc$(R_ARCH)/Makeconf
>
> That should fix the first problem.  But
>
>> cc1: error: invalid option ?arch=nocona?
>
> suggests there might be a further problem (for which use R-sig-mac).

On my system at least that seems a compiler options mismatch (it works on
my self-built version of R-devel with the above change).  Removing
-march=nocona in entries in

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/i386/Makeconf

on the CRAN build made this go to completion.  (My build does not
have those.)  You can override in CFLAGS in personal Makevars (see
'Writing R Extensions').

But I'll let those more expert than I on R-sig-mac comment on that issue.