[R-SIG-Mac] dyld problem

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 11 18:04:28 CET 2008

Robin,

you have actually found an interesting bug because of another bug ;).

The bug on the R side is that although libR pulls the right libgcc,
but exec/*/R does not. To fix that run in Terminal (you'll need Xcode
for this):

cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib \
   `pwd`/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib bin/exec/i386/R
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib \
   `pwd`/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib bin/exec/ppc/R

I have fixed the build script, so tomorrow's nightlies should be ok.

Now the actual bug that probably triggered this is Apple's installer
(so far Xcode 2.5 and 3 are known) that screws up /usr/local/lib - it
is an infinite symlink loop. If that is true, use the following to fix
it:

sudo rm /usr/local/lib
sudo mv '/usr/local/lib 1' /usr/local/lib

Either of the above should fix the symptoms.