[R-SIG-Mac] Basic C / Leopard question (for R dll creation)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Feb 12 21:51:29 CET 2008

Joe,

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Retzer Joe wrote:

> I have a very basic need to write some C code, create a dll and load/
> run in R. I'm a bit confused however about the best C compiler for
> Leopard. I've seen notes on Dev Tools, Xcode, Objective C, GCC, etc.
> My very basic "newbie" question is what compiler is recommended and
> where is it available (i.e. on the web, Leopard disk etc.). Any
> advice on that and any hints about how to install/run in Leopard
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> (I'm using OS X 10.5.2, latest release of R, on an Intel Core Duo Mac)

On Mac OS X 10.5 it's really trivial, because all necessary tools come
with the OS - they are on the installation DVD. Just double-click on
"Xcode Tools" and follow the instructions.

Also please note that detailed instructions on the tools are in the R
for Mac OS X FAQ (just click on "Help" in the R GUI or go to the CRAN
Mac OS X page).