[R-SIG-Mac] help: R on Mac's is "buggy", department reconsidering

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Tue Feb 5 06:26:10 CET 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 12:42 PM, William Revelle wrote:

> Matt,
>  In addition to the comments by Kasper and Max, may I add two points:
>
> 1) I am delighted that another psych department is pushing R for
> undergrads and grads.  I have been doing so here with limited success.
> I have been able to get undergrads in both my research methods class
> and a more advanced class getting comfortable with it and doing some
> basic analyses.  Some of our grad students are R converts as well.
> Among the faculty, however, it is much slower going.
>
> 2) Running R 2.6.1 with Mac 10.4+ or 10.5.1  on Intel and G4/G5s  and
> the Mac Gui I have almost no crashes of R.  Running 2.7.0
> (development, unstable) I have just a few.

(1) Here at UVa at least three faculty members and their grad students
use R exclusively. Both graduate stats classes and the grad cognitive
research methods class are taught  in R.

(2) On the matter of crashes: R is very stable on my Mac:

Hardware Overview:
   Model Name:	Mac Pro
   Model Identifier:	MacPro1,1
   Processor Name:	Dual-Core Intel Xeon
System Software Overview:
   System Version:	Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B18)
   Kernel Version:	Darwin 9.1.0

R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
i386-apple-darwin8.10.1

Using the JGR GUI.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/