[R-SIG-Mac] build tools/x11 on leopard

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Feb 5 01:32:35 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> I am wondering what compiler I need to use under Leopard when I
> install packages from source using the experimental build of R-2.6-
> branch for x64 (from Simon's site), when I am running leopard. To my
> mind there are two options
> 1) The standard Xcode 3.0 gcc compiler
> 2) The preview of gcc 4.2 from the developers site, I think it has
> build number 5531
> I think I need to go for option 2, comments?

The R build is compiled with 2), but using 1) should work, too. Both
compilers seem to mix well, but make sure you use the corresponding
gfortran if you plan on using Fortran code. Just don't use any other
compilers (fink, HPC, ...) - they don't work properly.

> Also (I am new to leopard) what should I do about X11. There seems to
> be two options.
> 1) Downgrade the Tigers X11
> 2) Install the Xquartz package from
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/X112.1.3

3) use official X11 release from Leopard

The R build is built against Apple's release Leopard X11. I have not
tried 1), so I can't comment on it (AFAIR Tiger's X11 doesn't have 64-
bit support). In either case 2) and 3) you have to fix the libGL bug.
I was running 3) successfully and have updated to 2) just for testing,
either works fine.