[R-SIG-Mac] using several versions in Library/Frameworks simultanouesly

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 9 03:54:34 CET 2008

I have two version of R installed in
   /Library/Frameworks
version 2.8 patched and version 2.9 (R-devel). I have compiled them
myself. I know of Rswitch that allows me to switch (system-wide)
between the two versions. But I want to be able to use the two
versions at the same time, in different terminals (I am not using R.app)

I thought I could do this by making a symbolic link from my ~/Bin
folder (I have added this folder to my path), but even though it seems
to point to the right place (ok, something is wrong, so of course it
is not "right"), it still picks up the wrong version

kasper-hansens-macbook:~/> which R-devel
/Users/khansen/Bin/R-devel
kasper-hansens-macbook:~/> ls -l Bin/R-devel
lrwxr-xr-x  1 khansen  staff    60B Nov 11 12:02 Bin/R-devel -> /
Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/bin/R
kasper-hansens-macbook:~/> R-devel --version
R version 2.8.0 Patched (2008-12-05 r47091)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

Right now my system wide R, according to Rswitch, is R-2.8.

What am I missing here? I know I can run R-devel if I just run it from
the directory where I compiled it, so something seems to happen when I
do make install.

Kasper