[R-SIG-Mac] Running older versions to test package

Mon Dec 1 17:09:23 CET 2008

Hi Stephen,

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:53 AM, stephen sefick wrote:

> Version are installed in || ?  I know where the versions are located
> but I can not firgure out how to get them to crank up:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.Framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library
>
> My problem is that I am having problems with the StreamMetabolism -
> essentially relying on chron to work, and chron is not working as it
> has in the past.  This issue has cropped up in the upgrade to 2.8.  It
> is taking a much longer time to do things compared to 2.7.2.  2.3-25
> chron under R 2.8 and 2.3-24 chron under 2.7.2.  I would like to be
> able to run both of these versions side by side to try and find out
> what has happened.
> thanks for your help,

I think there's some setting of env vars that are necessary to run R
that are (somehow) automatically taken care of when the /Library/
Frameworks/R.framewor/{Headers,Libraries,etc.} link to the appropriate
Versions/* directory.

If you want to run from the terminal, I think you might be able to
(easily) do what you're after by using the RSwitch application that
you can d/l from here:
http://r.research.att.com/

I'd try to launch R (I guess 2.8 will come up first). Once it's up and
running, use RSwitch to pick version 2.7, then open another terminal
and launch R again (should be 2.7 now).

Alternatively, if you want to run using R.app (the GUI), I *believe*
you can download the 2.7 and 2.8 GUIs (from the same r.research page),
and rename them from R.app, to R27.app/R28.app and launch them that way.

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos