[R-SIG-Mac] Can snow be used to multithread?

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at well.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 13:25:47 CET 2008

Marco

You should be able to use snow with open-mpi on your macpro. You should also be
able to use snow with the "sockets" method, e.g.

cl <- makeCluster(rep("localhost", 8), type = "SOCK")

Note that there's a separate list, R-sig-hpc, for parallelisation issues.

HTH

Richard

Blanchette, Marco wrote:
 > I am fairly sure that this topic has been covered before. However, I can't
find answer to my questions in the archive...

 > I have a very embarrassingly parallel computing tasks (we are doing ~13,000
anovas and ~48,000 t.tests) that could benefits from using the snow packages
parLapply() function.

 > Does anyone knows whether I could use MPI or PVM to send jobs to the 8 cores
of my MacPro using snow or MPI/PVM has to be absolutely install and run across
multiple machine. Is there an alternative that I could use to take advantage of
my 8 cores with R?