[R-SIG-Mac] LaTeX for mac- problem making documentation files HELP!

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Wed Aug 6 10:10:29 CEST 2008

On 06/08/2008, at 4:52 PM, stephen sefick wrote:

> * checking Rd files ... OK
> * checking Rd cross-references ... OK
> * checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
> * checking for code/documentation mismatches ... OK
> * checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
> * checking data for non-ASCII characters ... OK
> * creating Ecosystem.Production-Ex.R ... OK
> * checking examples ... OK
> * creating Ecosystem.Production-manual.tex ... OK
> * checking Ecosystem.Production-manual.tex using pdflatex ... ERROR
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> mac os x 10.5.4
> latest mac tex distribution
> R 2.7.1
> how do I fix this.  Anything ya'll need tell me.  I don't know how to
> make this reproducible, but I will if you tell me how.

As it says, one of the Rd files is probably not correct, so the LaTex
is not correct. Possibly the log will tell you more, but LaTex error
messages can be very confusing.

Check your Rd files are correct. Have a look at some existing packages
to make sure you understand the format. Remove the Rd files and then
add individually and build to see which one is causing the failures.

If you can't work out what is going wrong, start with the simplest
possible file and then add to it.

Ken