[R-SIG-Mac] problem with X11() after install of 2.7.0.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 30 17:49:55 CEST 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:32:45PM +0200, Jean Thioulouse wrote:
>> At 10:55 AM -0400 4/30/08, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>> Ancient system? As a very first step for your own good I'd recommend
>>> updating your system which is way out of date (the current version
>>> Tiger is 10.4.11). Then if the issue persists, please report your
>>> full sessionInfo() and machine used. The above works without
>>> problems on both 10.5.2 and 10.4.11 (Mac Pro and iMac).
>>
>> I had the same (?) problem after upgrading to R 2.7.0 on a MacPro
>> with
>> MacOS 10.5.2, using XQuartz 2.2.0.1 instead of Apple X11. I didn't
>> try
>> to dig it as I decided to start using the quartz device (very good
>> job)
>> instead.
>>
>> The x11 device has no problem with tcltk though, and even with
>> tkrplot.
>>
>> Jean
>
> thanks for this information. so at least there seems to be a
> reall issue (though I'm still under Tiger  wit  Apple's  X11
> and I don't see bus errors )

Well that above doesn't say anything in that respect - the CRAN binary
is meant to work with Apple's X11 only. If you use anything else,
you're on your own and possibly have to compile your own version. For
example if you have a different version of fontconfig it is enough to
crash since fontconfig changed the internal format of the cache.