[R-SIG-Mac] R, installing packages behind a firewall

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 10:09:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Michael Bach wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> In all probability my request is trivial, please bear with me if so. Problem:
> installing packages (be it via the GUI or using "install.packages" meets with
> a response "can't access index of ... repository ..." (it's in German, but
> that's the gist). Since it works at home, I assume it's a firewall problem
> here in the Medical School.
>
> I found documentation that a proxy can be defined like so:
> Sys.setenv(http_proxy="http://USER:PASSWD@wwwp.ukl.uni-freiburg.de:80")
> but that has no effect, even if I do it immediately after R's startup.
> Possibly the reason is that that URL actually references a PAC file in my
> case.

Then that will not work -- basically your IT people are making life
unnecessarily hard for you, and you should ask them for a solution.

Meanwhile, you could try installing wget and using
options(download.file.method = "wget"): see ?download.file.  You will
still have to setup wget to work with your proxy, and I suggest you ask
your IT people to show you how.