[R-SIG-Mac] quartz device extremely slow (2.7.0)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 15:08:50 CEST 2008

Some versions of Windows GDI have a superficially identical problem --
stroking a path is quadratic in the number of segments.  The solution we
used (in gdrawpolyline, in src/extra/graphapp/gdraw.c) was to split the
drawing into pieces of length 1000, and that could be used here.  It would
be a simple modification to RQuartz_Polyline and RQuartz_Polygon, so
please try it and let us know how you get on.

It would also have been helpful to (C-level) profile the call and find out
where the time is being spent -- I expect it not to be in R at all but in
Quartz.