[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk issue with install.packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 18 19:01:22 CEST 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Shripad Sinari wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked in the corresponding
> directory:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library/tcltk/
> libs
> $ ll
> total 80
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  37564 Mar  5 13:19 tcltk.so
>
> And I do have the tcltk.so file.

That doesn't say much - you need to use otool -L to see which Tcl/Tk
it's referring to (if any).

> I have followed all the instructions given
> here
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#X11-TclTk-headers-and-
> libraries-_0028optional_0029
>
> for installing Tcl/Tk.
>

> I have even downloaded the R source and used the source in to
> compile again.
> Then used the tcltk.so from there. Still no luck.
>
> So if I need to recompile tcltk.so, can you/anyone please help me by
> giving
> some details about how to go about it.

I have no idea what you're tying to do ;).
Can you, please, start by stating your goal? Are you trying to compile
R from sources for some reason? Do you want a specific (non-standard)
Tcl/Tk version?

If you just want a working R with Tcl/Tk then please download it from
CRAN and you're all set (the full installer contains R and Tcl/Tk).

If you want your custom R with some custom Tcl/Tk then you have to
compile and install Tcl/Tk *first*, then configure R and make sure it
is using your custom Tcl/Tk during the configure run (and also showing
"tcltk" in the end output). Then compile and install R. Note that Aqua-
based Tcl/Tk doesn't work properly with R, because they use a custom
event loop that is incompatible with and other application (including
R), so unless you are testing that, I'd recommend the X11 version
(which is what we supply on CRAN).

> On 4/18/08 6:37 AM, "Simon Urbanek" <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Shripad,
>>
>> my guess would be that you don't have working Tcl/Tk developer setup.
>> The fact that your Tcl/Tk doesn't work is not apparent until run-
>> time,
>> because missing symbols are reported only at load time. Make sure you
>> have installed X11 Tcl/Tk that comes with R (or compile one
>> yourself).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>> On Apr 18, 2008, at 12:57 AM, Shripad Sinari wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>> I am having a problem with loading tcl/tk particularly when using
>>> the
>>> install.packages function on Leopard. I have custom build my binary