[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk issue with install.packages

Shripad Sinari ssinari at tgen.org
Fri Apr 18 18:47:46 CEST 2008

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked in the corresponding directory:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library/tcltk/libs
$ ll
total 80
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  37564 Mar  5 13:19 tcltk.so

And I do have the tcltk.so file. I have followed all the instructions given
here

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#X11-TclTk-headers-and-
libraries-_0028optional_0029

for installing Tcl/Tk.

I have even downloaded the R source and used the source in to compile again.
Then used the tcltk.so from there. Still no luck.

So if I need to recompile tcltk.so, can you/anyone please help me by giving
some details about how to go about it.

Thanks,

On 4/18/08 6:37 AM, "Simon Urbanek" <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> Shripad,
>
> my guess would be that you don't have working Tcl/Tk developer setup.
> The fact that your Tcl/Tk doesn't work is not apparent until run-time,
> because missing symbols are reported only at load time. Make sure you
> have installed X11 Tcl/Tk that comes with R (or compile one yourself).
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Apr 18, 2008, at 12:57 AM, Shripad Sinari wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I am having a problem with loading tcl/tk particularly when using the
>> install.packages function on Leopard. I have custom build my binary
>> for my
>> dual core leopard and use type="source" argument in
>> install.packages. No X11
>> issues any where else and X11 is launching as required when
>> install.packages
>> is invoked. Can somebody suggest a way to overcome this problem. I am
>> attaching my R transcript file for the session.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> --
>> Shripad Sinari

Shripad Sinari