[R-SIG-Mac] Another error

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Apr 8 23:26:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM, David Kaplan <dkaplan at education.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi, I loaded 'foreign' to read in a .sav file directly using read.spss.
>  Came up with this message.
>  Any thoughts?
>
>  Thanks in advance.
>

>  Warning messages:
>  1: package 'foreign' was built under R version 2.6.2
>  2: package 'poLCA' was built under R version 2.6.2

Hi, David.

Might or might not be a problem, but it looks like you are mixing
package versions and R versions.  When writing to the list, you will
always want to include the output of sessionInfo().  In this
particular case, you will want to remove the offending packages and
re-install them.

>  3: In read.spss("~/Desktop/math1.sav") :
>   ~/Desktop/math1.sav: File-indicated character representation code
>  (1252) looks like a Windows codepage
>  4: In read.spss("~/Desktop/math1.sav") :
>   ~/Desktop/math1.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 16
>  encountered in system file
>  5: In read.spss("~/Desktop/math1.sav") :
>   ~/Desktop/math1.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 20
>  encountered in system file

I know it is hard to remember to do it, but when you use ANY new
function in R, it is essential to read the help page.  I think the
answer is on the help page.

Sean