[R-SIG-Mac] A .csv question

David Kaplan dkaplan at education.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 8 20:11:13 CEST 2008

Hi,

No doubt I'm writing to the wrong R list and some cranky person will
flame me as a reminder, but I seem to have this problem just on the Mac
version of R.  Here is the scenario.   I am using SPSS on the PC to save
a file as a .csv.  I then bring this file into R and have it read the
file as a .csv.  When I look at the file in Mac Excel, it looks like a
regular spreadsheet without commas as I might expect.  When I run the
model, I get the message

Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
na.strings,  :
  scan() expected 'a real', got '3196)'

The 3196 is the sample size used for this analysis and it is correct.  I
can ask it to print the data and the correlation matrix, and everything
seems fine.  There are no additional characters (such as a parentheses)
in the file.  My students who are doing this analysis for a class
assignment do not seem to have a problem on the PC, so I am wondering if
anyone has encountered an incompatibility problems.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is the wrong list.

David

David Kaplan, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Educational Psychology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Educational Sciences, Room, 1061
1025 W. Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53706

email: dkaplan at education dot wisc dot edu
homepage:
http://www.education.wisc.edu/edpsych/facstaff/kaplan/kaplan.htm
Phone: 608-262-0836