[R-SIG-Mac] Error while running R CMD check

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 1 20:09:11 CEST 2008

Kjell,

can you, please, send us the details (in accordance to the posting
guide)?

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Kjell Konis wrote:

> I built R from source and when I run R CMD check it prints the
> following error while checking R code for possible problems.

> * checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
> functionality safely. You MUST exec().
> Break on
> __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
> () to debug.
> <snip - same 2 lines a whole bunch of times>
> * checking Rd files ... OK
>
> The package passes R CMD check on linux. Any ideas on how I can fix
> it?

Where do you get into those problems? The above error occurs on
Leopard when a "fork"ed applications attempts to use CF calls.
However, It's not clear to me 1) how you get a forked R and 2) how you
get to call libraries using CF.

So far I encountered this problem only in the setup Rserve+Cairo,
because Rserve forks R to allow multiple connections. This can be
worked around by using more recent freetype with cairo (old FT used
FSRef API unnecessarily which in turn calls CF). Nonetheless, if your
package relies on both forking and CF, you have no way out - it will
be unsupported on Mac OS X 10.5.