[R-SIG-Mac] Leopard support in R-details

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 30 14:55:55 CET 2007

Current status of R and Leopard:

I don't have the release version of Leopard yet (waiting for the
DVD...), so the information below is based on tests using the latest
seed and user responses (see the list) in the last few days.

* Building R
This was our priority and we have smoothed all the wrinkles as far as
I can see. Building current R from sources on Leopard works just
fine. You can build both R and the GUI in 32 and 64-bit, leveraging
the new 64-bit Cocoa support. You can create a quad-arch framework
including the GUI if you wish, such R runs on both PowerPC and Intel
Macs in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode. The r_arch names must be i386,
ppc, x86_64 and ppc64 for the framework to install correctly.

* Using CRAN Tiger R on Leopard
Apparently there is a problem with the installer. Although our
installer requires my.target.systemVersion.ProductVersion >= '10.4'
and as such should work with Leopard, the Apple installer apparently
breaks this. This is under investigation. Current work-around is to
install R parts separately from the "Packages" directory of the R image.

Building packages from *sources* reportedly breaks due to some issue
with Xcode. I can't test this with the release, but a hotfix could be
adding -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 to linker flags either to PKG_LIBS
or /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/i386/Makeconf.
(untested)

Binary packages are fine, so if you can, use CRAN binaries instead.

I have a working nightly build of R on Leopard that supports both
Tiger and Leopard, but since I'm using the pre-release I cannot make
it public until I get the release license. Once I get it, the nightly
builds should work smoothly on both Tiger and Leopard.

We have some Leopard-specific aces up our sleeves, there will be a
completely new Leopard build of R with cool new features,
graphics, ... stay tuned ...