[R-SIG-Mac] .First() function not being executed on R.app startup

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Nov 28 00:00:59 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've set up a .First function to run help.start()
but when I invoke R.app the .First function is not
apparently executed.  I've checked preferences and
documentation but can not find any indication that
.First() should not be executed.

Is this a bug in R.app, or have I missed something
about how to get .First() to be invoked when
I run R.app?  I include session information below.
When I invoke R from a terminal shell, help.start()
is executed and a browser window does pop up, but
not when I invoke R from R.app.

Any information appreciated.

Best

Steve McKinney

R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
Copyright (C) 2007 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Workspace restored from /Users/stevenmckinney/.RData]

> ls(all=TRUE)
[1] ".First"    ".required"
> .First
function(){utils::help.start()}
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.1

locale:
en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/C/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8

attached base packages: