[R-SIG-Mac] Plot format

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu May 31 02:13:04 CEST 2007

I have found graphics saved with the png() driver to be of sufficient
quality to place in PowerPoint on the Mac, and use for presentations.

png() does require a running X windows server (which I don't consider
to be a problem, but many Mac users do), but I would expect the GDD()
driver to generate good quality as well.

At 12:31 PM -0400 5/30/07, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>On May 30, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Guangjie Chen wrote:
>>  I have been using R for Windows for a while, but i want to change
>>  to R for Mac. The only problem is that the image quality of plots
>>  saved in R for Mac (e.g. pdf) seems not have to good enough quality
>>  for publications or presentation.
>In fact plots saved as PDF have higher quality than the EMF format as
>PDF is the publishing standard, whereas EMF is restricted by the
>Windows GDI and its (im)precision. PDFs created by either the PDF
>device or the Quartz device in R are both precise vector formats
>without any loss of quality.
>Anyway, this is not about the format, but probably about the tools
>you use. Note that MS tools cannot handle PDF well (they convert it
>to low-quality bitmaps), but then I hope would not use such tools for
>publication or presentation... (especially not on a Mac ;)).
>R-SIG-Mac mailing list
>R-SIG-Mac at stat.math.ethz.ch

Don MacQueen
Environmental Protection Department