[R-SIG-Mac] Plot format

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 30 18:31:50 CEST 2007

Guangjie,

On May 30, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Guangjie Chen wrote:

> I have been using R for Windows for a while, but i want to change
> to R for Mac. The only problem is that the image quality of plots
> saved in R for Mac (e.g. pdf) seems not have to good enough quality
> for publications or presentation.

In fact plots saved as PDF have higher quality than the EMF format as
PDF is the publishing standard, whereas EMF is restricted by the
Windows GDI and its (im)precision. PDFs created by either the PDF
device or the Quartz device in R are both precise vector formats
without any loss of quality.

Anyway, this is not about the format, but probably about the tools
you use. Note that MS tools cannot handle PDF well (they convert it
to low-quality bitmaps), but then I hope would not use such tools for
publication or presentation... (especially not on a Mac ;)).