[R-SIG-Mac] Can I disable brace completion in console?

Roberto Osorio roboso at gmail.com
Thu May 24 04:01:52 CEST 2007

I'll let others vote about enabling/disabling brace completion (auto-
closing) for the editor. The internal editor is fine, but I prefer to
use Smultron as an external editor, mainly for the multi-file single-
window capability, which allows quick jumping between different R
scripts or functions. Smultron supports R syntax. It does not have
brace auto-closing, but it has brace matching (i.e., highlights left
brace after right one is typed), which I find way more useful and
less distracting.

By the way, I send highlighted text from Smultron to the console
through an Applescript, which I assigned to "Cmd - R" using
FastScripts Lite. This way it integrates nicely with the console,
similarly to the internal editor.

Thanks,

Roberto

On May 23, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

On May 23, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Roberto Osorio wrote:

> I can't find a preference to disable brace completion in the
> console in R 2.5.0 GUI 1.19.

Unfortunately it didn't make it to the Preferences UI, so you have to
paste this in Terminal:

defaults write org.R-project.R auto.close.parens NO

If you want to revert back to the default you can use:

defaults delete org.R-project.R auto.close.parens

> More precisely, I'm referring to the new feature that automatically
> adds the right brace (or bracket or parenthesis) when the left one
> is typed. Nice when you type from left to right, but inconvenient
> when you edit the same or previous lines. At least using something
> like "Cmd - {" to override it would be nice.

Sounds reasonable. I'll see if we can add that...

BTW: would it be helpful to have the ability to enable/disable brace
completion separately for the console and the editor?