[R-SIG-Mac] Feedback to Apple?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 21 17:21:54 CET 2007

I'm a bit puzzled about the X11-related statements here. Both
mentioned "better X11 support" - what is really missing in Apple's
X11? So far I have found Apple's X11 very enjoyable for all
scientific purposes and much easier to work with that other 3rd-party
X11 implementations.

As for installing X11, yes, I would welcome if it was in included the
standard install mode, but it is in no way hidden: all Mac OS X
installation DVDs have it and you only have to start the Mac OS X
installer - one double-click, that's all. (Besides, rumor has it that
this may change for Leopard anyway.) For a class, why not just supply
the package?

Concerning R itself, my only worry (and a big headache) is the lack
of Fortran support in Xcode. We have to install parallel compilers
and system libraries which is a maintenance nightmare...