[R-SIG-Mac] Rgraphviz loading problem solved

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Thu Jun 7 05:03:26 CEST 2007

Simon,
   A followup to the Rgraphviz issue and why I think installing X-Code
solves at least one problem with getting it to work

On a G4 Powerbook I updated R to 2.5.0 patched. I then went to
bio-conductor and downloaded Rgraphviz and all the associated
packages.  Then installed graphviz 2.1.2 from
http://r.research.att.com/.

However,
Without X-Code installed, when I try library(Rgraphviz) I get the
following error message:

library(Rgraphics)
Error in library(Rgraphics) : there is no package called 'Rgraphics'

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.5/
Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/ppc/Rgraphviz.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/
libs/ppc/Rgraphviz.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libltdl.3.dylib
   Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libgvc.3.dylib
   Reason: image not found
Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Rgraphviz'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rgraphviz'

____________________________
Then, once I install X-Code I get this:

>  library(Rgraphviz)

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997

Attaching package: 'Rgraphviz'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:annotate :

	 toFile

____

At which point any calls to Rgraphviz work perfectly. (And it is well
worth loading for it makes some very nice graphs).

This was done using R version 2.5.0 Patched (2007-04-25 r41315)
(just installed R 2.5.0 today on the G4 power book that had this problem. )

  As I said yesterday, when my students or I installed X-Code on G4s,
G5s, or MacBook Pros, then we were able to load Rgraphviz.  Once
loaded, it works like a charm.

Best wishes,

Bill

--