[R-SIG-Mac] Rgraphviz loading problem solved

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Wed Jun 6 05:55:49 CEST 2007

Simon,

Sorry not to have been more specific.  I can no longer give the error
messages I was getting but I will try tomorrow on a machine that does
not yet have X-code .   I was partly responding to a thread started
back around 2/15/07 about problems loading Rgraphviz.

I have been using it on a MacBook pro for several weeks.  It had
worked on my G5 desktop until a complete hard disk failure.  After
reloading they system (but with out Xcode), Rgraphviz did not load.
With Xcode installed, it did.   Similarly, a student of mine could
not load Rgraphiviz, but with Xcode installed was able to do so.

The error message I was getting was very similar to one that I
reported on January 19th and other people have reported since then:
"
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so,
6): Symbol not found: _agfstnode
    Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so
    Expected in: dynamic lookup
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Rgraphviz'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rgraphviz'"

I can not guarantee that the specific message has been identical to
this but will try tomorrow on a machine without Xcode.

I downloaded Rgraphviz from bio-conductor (plus all the required
files).  Installed 2.12 from  http://r.research.att.com/.  Nothing
worked until adding Xcode from the 10.4 system disk.

Rgraphviz  now works like a charm on all machines that have X-code
installed, but on none that do not.

Best wishes,

Bill