[R-SIG-Mac] Version differences in filename completion behavior

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Jun 1 19:18:40 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am seeing a difference between R versions in how filename
completion performs. Specifically, something that worked in 2.3.1,
which I built from sources, does not work in the CRAN binary 2.5.0.
(Apparently, I skipped versions 2.4.x and went directly from 2.3.1 to
2.5.0, so I can't speak to the behavior in 2.4.x.)

This may be due to the CRAN binary using libedit from Apple instead
of GNU readline?
(from the R for OS X faq: "Nevertheless, GNU readline has some
additional functionality so it may be worth installing anyway.")

Details:

Suppose I have files of R code in my working directory named:
     foo-bar.r
     ugh.bar.r

I want to source these files using, e.g.,
     source('foo-bar.r')
     source('ugh.bar.r')

In my R 2.3.1 (built from source), command line completion (by
hitting the tab key) worked for both files.
That is, after typing
    source('foo-b
or
    source('ugh.b
and then hitting TAB, the filename completed.

In R 2.5.0 (binary), filename completion works for
    source('ugh.b
but not for
    source('foo-b
I hit the tab key, and it beeps but does nothing.

Since I have been in the habit of using (and desire to use) hyphens
in file names, it would be nice to have both.

I tried to find out which version of readline my build of 2.3.1 one
used, and couldn't find version info in any of the logs. But I do
have libreadline.5.0.dylib from fink in /sw/lib, whereas Apple seems
to supply libedit.dylib in /usr/lib, so maybe my build and the CRAN
binary are using different libraries. More than likely, I would
guess... And maybe Apple's doesn't support completion with hyphens.

Thanks
-Don

The respective version and session info is:

###### 2.5.0
>  version
                _
platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1
arch           powerpc
os             darwin8.9.1
system         powerpc, darwin8.9.1
status
major          2
minor          5.0
year           2007
month          04
day            23
svn rev        41293
language       R
version.string R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)

>  sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
"methods"   "base"

###### 2.3.1
>  version
                _
platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
arch           powerpc
os             darwin8.7.0
system         powerpc, darwin8.7.0
status         Patched
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          08
day            19
svn rev        38935
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 Patched (2006-08-19 r38935)

>  sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 Patched (2006-08-19 r38935)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
"datasets"  "base"