[R-SIG-Mac] Installing R under 64-bit architecture

W. Evan Johnson evan at hannibal.byu.edu
Sat Jul 21 01:53:19 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Mac world, so go easy on me if this is a really dumb
question!

I'm trying to build R from source (under 64-bit architecture) on my
64-bit (Intel) Mac with OS X Tiger.

Here's what I've done: I downloaded R-2.5.1.tar.gz (should I be using a
different version? I'm guessing no) from the r-project webpage,
unarchived the file, went to into the directory and then followed the
./configure command as given at http://r.research.att.com/exp/ and it works!

Then when I try to 'make' the program it runs for a while and then gives
me the following error:

building package 'base'
mkdir ../../../library/base/demo
mkdir ../../../library/base/po
mkdir ../../../library/base/man
Error: C stack usage is too close to the limit
Execution halted
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make: *** [R] Error 1

Is this a problem with R, make or with OS X? Does anyone know how I can
overcome this (and please explain in simple terms how to fix it!)

Thanks,

Evan