[R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Tue Jan 30 23:22:19 CET 2007

Nice writing -- to the point. I have read the advice about png, and
when I use bitmap with res=400, it is great. However, lower
resolution (with drag and drop) is jaggy enough to be, IMHO, less-
than publication quality and less than good enough for my
presentations. This seems like a problem on my computer, or a simple
difference of opinion that would be great to be shared (option 1,
option 2). Disagreements are healthy, yes?
Hank
On Jan 30, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, stefano iacus wrote:
>
>> Please stop this dogmatic war against/in_favor_of Word & Co. or I'm
>> forced to close this thread.
>
> A dogma-free summary:
>
> 1. Word (and the rest of office)  doesn't display PDFs, but can
> display
> PNG or JPEG
>
> 2. PNG is better for statistical graphics
>
> 3. PNG can be produced by drag-and-drop, with Preview from a PDF, or
> directly from the png() driver. Simon (who should know) recommends
> drag
> and drop.  I have tended to use the png() driver at higher-than-screen
> resolution.
>
> 4. Under Windows, PNG may require Quicktime in order to be displayed.
>
> 5. R does not know how to produce .wmf -- under Windows, R does
> device-independent graphics calls that are translated to .wmf, .png,
> .jpeg, or screen images by the operating system as required. This
> means it
> would not be easy to make .wmf on Mac.
>
> 6. Implementing .wmf output off Windows does not appear to be a high
> priority for any of the active (core or non-core) developers. If it
> happens, someone else will have to do it.
>
> 7. Many people have strong views on Word that go beyond questions
> of the
> use of R on Mac OS X platforms.
>

>  	-thomas

Dr. Hank Stevens, Assistant Professor