[R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 21:23:13 CET 2007

*ahem* I think the developers for the Mac version of R will do
whatever they please. This may in fact include better compatibility
with a certain office suite. It may not.

Personally, I would like the ability to drag and drop (or cut and
paste) from Excel to R's GUI directly into a data frame. I think it
would be nice and it would make life much easier for my collaborators
when the discover the limits of Excel. Tears of joy! It would also be
nice to drag and drop to Word and have those same collaborators able
to read the file on the PC side on the first try (this, IMO, is
actually a bug in Word's pasting code---it transfers everything to
PICT despite the fact that a) PICT is dead and b) other formats are
available. It *should* select the most compatible format, either JPEG
or PNG).

It's not like LaTeX isn't without its own problems, but I use it for
its strengths (macros) not its open source nature.

On 1/29/07, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2007, at 19:35, Richard De Veaux wrote:
>
> > I don't think this forum is the appropriate place for personal
> > harangues
> > against Word. There are enough other R issues to keep us busy.
>
> I disagree. I don't thing the developers of R for Mac shoud spend
> their time (which, I dare presume, ain't infinite) to make stuff
> easier for "Word" users.
>
> Other members of the community have the full right to disagree, but,
> as a member of the community, I have the right to say I don't think
> time spend on making R graphics more "Word" friendly is time well spent.
>
> Best,
>
> Fede
>
> --
> Federico C. F. Calboli
> Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
> Imperial College, St. Mary's Campus
> Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG
>
> Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193
>
> f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
> f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian