[R-SIG-Mac] help on loading RGraphviz

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Fri Jan 19 18:22:12 CET 2007

Dear Mac R list,

I am trying to load RGraphviz so that I can use Graphviz directly
from R rather than as a stand alone program.

Following (I think) the advice given to the list in August, I have
installed Graphviz-2.8 from the att site and the bioconductor
packages from Bioconductor lite.

(from http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.lang.r.mac/2006-08/msg00044.html)

>  To install Rgraphviz on OSX when using the binary installation of R
>  downloaded from CRAN (that is, the R app), do the following:
>
>  1. Install the _graphviz_ binary from http://r.research.att.com/.
>
>  2. Install the _binary_ version of the BioC Rgraphviz package:
>
>       source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R";)
>       biocLite("Rgraphviz")

Did that.

However, when I try to load Rgraphviz I get the following error message:

Welcome to Bioconductor

     Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
     'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
     on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so,
6): Symbol not found: _agfstnode
   Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/i386/Rgraphviz.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Rgraphviz'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rgraphviz'
>  version
                _
platform       i386-apple-darwin8.8.1
arch           i386
os             darwin8.8.1
system         i386, darwin8.8.1
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)

There are a variety of followups to the August set of posts, but
nothing that seems to directly help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill