[R-SIG-Mac] Interrupting an R process, under ESS.

John Maindonald John.Maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 18 22:53:13 CET 2007

While we are on running R under UNIX, here is another issue.

When the session hangs (most recently from running identify() on a
quartz window), the only way I have found to interrupt is to kill the
R process from the command line.  Activation of BREAK from the ESS
menu bar, if I can get to it (as in this instance I could), seems
ineffective.

The problem most often occurs because I have tried to plot without
either starting X11 or opening a quartz window, and in that instance
I cannot get to the BREAK on the ESS menu bar.  Or it may happen
because the X11 process has somehow been corrupted (probably from
unplugging the external monitor while the laptop is asleep, which I
have found is a nono). Is this also an event loop manager issue?

In this situation (no X11) the behaviour seems a bit unpredictable;
the session may hang, or I may get a warning message.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.