[R-SIG-Mac] Installing R-devel from http://r.research.att.com/

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jan 10 16:38:36 CET 2007

Seth,

the problem was located and should be fixed for tonight's build.

On Jan 9, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I suspect this is an easy question...
>
> How do I install R devel from the various snapshots provided on
> http://r.research.att.com/.
>
> [I generally build from source, but need to assist people in getting a
> working R-devel on OSX for a course we are teaching]
>
> The website says:
>
>     The installer image (*.dmg) is packaged exactly the same way as
>     the CRAN release of R (including the GUI) and it will update your
>     R version (unless you delete the last receipt).
>
> The installer image is too small to contain everything (52kb) and I
> don't understand what is meant by "unless you delete the last
> receipt".

By default Apple Installer does an 'upgrade' - i.e. it will remove
all 'old' files that were installed by the previous R version.
However, you may want to keep old R since it can co-exist peacefully.
In order to tell the Apple Installer to not upgrade the old version,
but perform a new, clean install instead, you have to remove the
receipt created by the previous install. Apple Installer keeps the
receipts in /Library/Receipts, so you may want to run

rm -rf /Library/Receipts/R-Framework*

This is discussed in the R for Mac FAQ and also in the ReadMe of the
R package which is displayed during the installation.