[R-SIG-Mac] Pb with gcc 4.0.3 (from R-2.4.1.dmg) and last Xcode

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 4 05:31:12 CET 2007

Hi,

I recently updated Xcode to the last available version (2.4.1) on our
Intel Mac Mini (Mac OS 10.4.8).
Now when I compile a C program with gcc 4.0.3 provided with R-2.4.1.dmg,
the output I get contains several lines like this:

  /var/tmp//ccUlRH08.s:2232:indirect jmp without `*'

For example, the "hello world" program produces 1 line like this but
there can be dozens of them even for a small (< 1000 lines) program.

It looks like 'as' is complaining about the output produced by
gcc 4.0.3. Could this affect the stability of the resulting
executable? How can this be fixed? Thanks!

System: Intel Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.4.8
Xcode: 2.4.1 (or 2.4.0)
gcc: 4.0.3 provided with R-2.4.1.dmg

How to reproduce: try to compile

  #include <stdio.h>
  main() {printf("hello world\n");}

No problem when compiling with /usr/bin/gcc (Apple gcc, version 4.0.1).

Cheers and Happy New Year!

H.

PS: This problem affects many Bioconductor packages.