[R-SIG-Mac] R source file Spotlight plugin for file indexing under Mac OS X Tiger

Philion Vincent vincent.philion at irda.qc.ca
Thu Feb 15 20:06:32 CET 2007

Hello to all, very shortly after my post, I received a fully
functional plugin that was developed by Carlos Ungil which is based
on a LISP source code plugin for Spotlight originally written by John
Wiseman.

With this new plugin, "R" source file contents are now perfectly
indexed in Spotlight.

Spotlight will find "Program.R" file contents based on functions or
any text in the R file.
Note that files with R extension = (eg Program.R) are recognized with
a "com.apple.rez-source" UTI, so the programmer made sure his plugin
would not interfere with the Apple UTI.

The file can be downloaded from:

http://ungil.com/R-Metadata-Importer.zip

1) Copy the R Metadata Importer.mdimporter file into the /Library/
Spotlight folder
2) Force Spotlight to reimport (index) the R files with this command
in Terminal =
mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/R\ Metadata\ Importer.mdimporter

I tested this on my Mac and it works great!

This is a very useful and fun contribution to "R" for Mac!

I hope this gets integrated in the install package so that all "Mac"
R users can benefit from it!

Thank you!

Best regards,

Vincent Philion, M.Sc. agr.
IRDA
Laboratoire de production fruitière intégrée
335, Chemin des vingt-cinq Est
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville
J3V 4P6
téléphone: 450-778-6522 poste 233