[R-SIG-Mac] R source file index using OS X Tiger Spotlight

Philion Vincent vincent.philion at irda.qc.ca
Wed Feb 7 17:38:38 CET 2007

Hello, I recently noticed that "R" source file contents are not
indexed in Spotlight.

Spotlight will find "Program.R", but not the contents.

I like to use Spotlight, so I thought it would be neat to use it to
index my R program code.

I don't know if anyone is writing a "plugin" for Spotlight, but I can
suggest the following "quickfix".

Any files with R extension = (eg Program.R) is recognized with a
"com.apple.rez-source" UTI.

It seems that the contents of files with this UTI are not indexed by
Spotlight.

With some googling, I found that it is possible to FORCE Spotlight to
index a given UTI.

I decided to force Spotlight to consider "R" files as simple TEXT
files. Not the best method, but it works. A "real" programmer could
write a proper "plugin" for R files.

Based on this information:

http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2005/06/pushing_spotlight

Here is how I successfully forced Spotlight to index R file contents:

1) Open the RichText.mdimporter Info.plist
2) Add "com.apple.rez-source" to the list of text file UTIs handled
by Spotlight
3) Force Spotlight to reimport the R files with this command in
Terminal =
mdimport -r /System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter